I love the chiropractor.
My trip to the chiropractor yesterday appears to have been at least an initial success. She did some weird tapping, massage, and pressure things to my hips and literally the minute I stood up from the table I felt some initial relief. My limp has almost completely gone away and the pain has significantly decreased. This is after I was almost in tears running errands yesterday as the pain was so great that even crossing the street or doing a little grocery shopping felt terrible. I am now feeling hopeful that a combination of chiropractor visits and prenatal massage will make the next few weeks bearable and keep me in some kind of shape to get through labor.
Unfortunately I am supposed to basically avoid putting any weight on my leg until my next appointment with the chiro which is tomorrow. So today I am pretty much homebound. It's weird to be ordered to not even do housework. I should feel relieved, but no, suddenly I WANT to do housework. Go figure.
The other pregnancy related thing going on that I haven't mentioned here is that they are laying off the midwives at the practice that I've been going to!!! The practice currently consists of five doctors and two midwives. Women who deliver at the birthing center (like me) are typically attended by one of the midwives. Other deliveries, including if my delivery went high risk or intervention, are attended by one of the OB's. Since I've been planning on going to the birthing center, I've been making all (but one) of my prenatal appt's with the midwives. But suddenly, it appears that I may be attended by one of the random physicians, if I go into labor after January 1. (which is highly likely) There is a small chance that they will keep the midwives on contract to do the birth center deliveries, and I should be able to call and find out what they've decided tomorrow. Meanwhile, plan B is to try to meet as many of the physicians as possible before giving birth. The situation SUCKS because the only reason I chose this practice in the first place is because they were the ONLY practice in this area with midwives and which had a reputation for being supportive of minimal intervention when requested by the mother. The whole thing had me infuriated a week ago, now I'm just sort of waiting it out.
In other news:
1. I am afraid I will never make friends here and will be socially isolated for the next year or two. (I know, I know, it's up to me to figure out how to make an effort on this. I have nothing to lose.)
2. Yesterday was Derek's birthday! Yay! At Derek's request, I made him an old family recipe for brownies. It includes, among other things, 4 cups of sugar, 2/3 a cup of crisco, and four eggs! Doesn't that sound disgusting???
3. My kitten thinks I am an inanimate object. He was sitting on the windowsill and I was standing nearby. I noticed he was giving me a funny look, but before I could move he had leapt onto my body and was climbing me like a jungle gym. I have the scars to prove it.
Unfortunately I am supposed to basically avoid putting any weight on my leg until my next appointment with the chiro which is tomorrow. So today I am pretty much homebound. It's weird to be ordered to not even do housework. I should feel relieved, but no, suddenly I WANT to do housework. Go figure.
The other pregnancy related thing going on that I haven't mentioned here is that they are laying off the midwives at the practice that I've been going to!!! The practice currently consists of five doctors and two midwives. Women who deliver at the birthing center (like me) are typically attended by one of the midwives. Other deliveries, including if my delivery went high risk or intervention, are attended by one of the OB's. Since I've been planning on going to the birthing center, I've been making all (but one) of my prenatal appt's with the midwives. But suddenly, it appears that I may be attended by one of the random physicians, if I go into labor after January 1. (which is highly likely) There is a small chance that they will keep the midwives on contract to do the birth center deliveries, and I should be able to call and find out what they've decided tomorrow. Meanwhile, plan B is to try to meet as many of the physicians as possible before giving birth. The situation SUCKS because the only reason I chose this practice in the first place is because they were the ONLY practice in this area with midwives and which had a reputation for being supportive of minimal intervention when requested by the mother. The whole thing had me infuriated a week ago, now I'm just sort of waiting it out.
In other news:
1. I am afraid I will never make friends here and will be socially isolated for the next year or two. (I know, I know, it's up to me to figure out how to make an effort on this. I have nothing to lose.)
2. Yesterday was Derek's birthday! Yay! At Derek's request, I made him an old family recipe for brownies. It includes, among other things, 4 cups of sugar, 2/3 a cup of crisco, and four eggs! Doesn't that sound disgusting???
3. My kitten thinks I am an inanimate object. He was sitting on the windowsill and I was standing nearby. I noticed he was giving me a funny look, but before I could move he had leapt onto my body and was climbing me like a jungle gym. I have the scars to prove it.

3 Comments:
I'm sorry to hear about the birthing center/midwives situation. How unfair. I hope it turns out you still get the situation you want. If it makes you feel any better (probably doesn't, though), so many women including myself gave birth in ways and with dr.s that were not planned on or expected. And it all turns out okay for the most part. It's such a weird thing to begin with, having a baby, that whatever happens just kind of becomes part of the weirdness and is okay. Sorry, I hope that wasn't too annoying or insulting or anything.
I'm glad your hip is feeling a little better and hope you have a good last few weeks!
You're totally right LaG. I think it is all a way of pretending that I have some control over this aspect of life (giving birth)that I really have little to no control over at all. It's very anxiety producing, so it's easy to focus the anxiety on this sort of detail.
That is a big detail, though! I would be freaking out. I hope you are able to get some answers about what will happen and get in lots of doctor meetings if need be. Be pushy! Take all that hip pain energy and direct it at medical receptionists! Grrr! I am glad your hip is feeling better. Chiropractors really do rock. If I could afford to go to one every other day forever I would probably feel much better.
Post a Comment
<< Home