Friday, October 27, 2006

notes from augusta

My parents picked me up in Atlanta on Wednesday morning and we started off for the 2-3 hour drive to the town where my Mom lives. My Dad suggests the usual chain restaurants for lunch but my mother announces that she wants to stop off for lunch in a small town that has a good "homestyle cooking" restaurant with "lots of veggies". So, we drive off for an hour or so and my Mom starts wondering where the exit is. I ask her if she's sure where the restaurant is. She knows the town but the last time she went there the highway didn't go that far. I ask her offhand how long it's been since she's been to the restaurant. "Oh, thirty or forty years," she says.

Humoring her, we exit the highway and drive into your typical Georgia small town, with a main street lined with antebellum mansions and various other historical artifacts, then a "downtown" lined with antique shops, and, amazingly, the restaurant where my mother used to eat thirty or forty years ago. It's in an old bank building and it looks like they haven't changed the furniture or the decor since the last time she was there. There is an old woman behind the counter slopping out servings of mac & cheese, black eyed peas, turnip greens, green beans, and fruit cobbler, for about a dollar a serving. There is a plastic pitcher of sweet tea on each table. I guess some things never change.

**************************************************************************

Why didn't anyone remind me that visiting my Mom, who runs her own home daycare, during the week while quite pregnant might not be such a great idea? I keep having to remind myself that I will not be giving birth to two one year olds, a two year old, and two five year olds all at the same time. Seriously, I don't know how people with lots of kids do it. Or my mother.

****************************************************************************

My mother's house is SO COLD that if you are wearing your jeans and a sweater you will still be freezing. You will want to wear your coat, gloves, and a hat. If you want to warm up, you will go outside. Even in the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home