Sunday, November 26, 2006

happy end of the long weekend

Not that I have a job to go back to.

We had a good, if hectic, Thanksgiving weekend. This was a holiday that used to mean nothing to me, and I only spent it with my immediate family one time since leaving for college. I couldn't get excited by a food-centered holiday, especially one where well-meaning meat eaters would place a frozen entre lasagna at my place and call it a day. (What can I say, they tried. If I wanted something else I should have cooked my own.) Once, when I was 22, I even spent Thanksgiving by myself, and while I was eating the dinner I'd prepared for myself (I actually had put some effort into it) the building next door to mine started to burn to the ground, and I was forced to evacuate with Ace clinging to me like a koala bear. I spent the rest of that Thanksgiving in a van with my stoner-boy downstairs neighbors, all the while wondering if I would have somewhere to sleep that night. Our building escaped unscathed, except for the layer of soot covering all of my belongings. That was something to be thankful for.

This was all before I met Derek, five years ago. Although we'd only been dating since August, he felt sorry for me that I had no Thanksgiving plans, and took me home. TG is his favorite holiday. I think there are two reasons. One is food. The other is that he was born the day after TG and his mother went into labor after cooking and eating a large TG meal. We get to hear this story every year but this year, of course, it meant more. I discovered that Derek was actually born at 34 and a half weeks (yes, our baby would come this week if he were on that schedule). He's insisted to me for years that he was born early but I never believed him because he went home from the hospital within 48 hours, perfectly healthy. But this year his mother proved that it is a true story. Sorry honey.

Anyway, now TG is one fo my very favorite holidays, because I love to celebrate it with Derek. This year we spent it with BOTH of our families (hosted by Derek's Mom), and while this was overwhelming at times, mostly we are grateful that they get along so well and things like this go so smoothly. We also got to see N & J, as well as Jenny, so overall it was a lovely weekend filled with many of our very favorite people.

If anyone is wondering about my state of being, I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable and continue to limp around at an extremely slow pace due to the pain in my hip. Also, I am acutely aware of my abdomen. It feels like my entire body is taken up by my abdomen. I am a large, limping abdomen. Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home