Saturday, December 16, 2006

How long will the home stretch last?

That is the question. I will be officially thirty-seven weeks on Monday, although I think I am thirty-seven weeks today. That means that I am officially "full-term" and the baby can come out safely any time between now and January 22!!! Let's not hold out for January 22, okay? It also means that I am "allowed" to give birth at the birth center (instead of the regular hospital) as of Monday.

I am feeling pretty well. The hip pain is non-existant, thanks to the chiropractor and time. I still get tired and achy more easily than usual, but this is no big deal. I am ALREADY feeling quite antsy about all this "I could go into labor at any moment stuff" and I am really looking forward to the big family Christmas visit as a giant distraction.

But of course I have no signs of going into labor any time in the near future. At my last appointment, my cervix was a little tiny bit effaced, but that was it. I've been having a lot more noticeable "braxton hicks" contractions, and sometimes they like mild period cramps instead of just weird muscle tightening. My next appointment is on Tuesday. Let's all hope for a little dilation here. Or is that really too much to ask at this point? I wish I were incredibly patient. It is hard not to want to be in the next phase, even though I'm terrified of the next phase, the very newborn phase, the stay up all night breastfeeding phase, the holy shit I have no idea how to take care of this thing phase, the my vag*na just exploded phase. I'm homesick for my friends and wish they were around to distract me and then to make me laugh or, um, bring me food after the baby is born.

To answer Bri's question about my medical care, I should know what's going on by my next appointment, but I've taken on a zen attitude about it. I very well may have a caregiver I've never laid eyes on before, but I'm becoming more convinced that anyone who's agreed to work with the birth center is probably not going to shove interventions in my face. It's really out of my control. Derek and I wrote some letters to make ourselves feel better. I didn't want to change care providers or hospitals at this point in the game. Derek is adamantly opposed to having a doula. So be it. It's going to be crazy, I'm sure, no matter what! Hopefully it won't be crazy in a bad way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about you all the time. I wish I could be there to distract you too. It really sucks. I won't even try to put a positive spin on it. Love you, A

10:09 AM  
Blogger Briar said...

I am sorry I missed your call the other day. I was busy being dizzy in the bed and couldn't leap up.

I am glad you are being zen.

I wish I could be there.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Don't worry Bri. I never answer the phone unless it is right next to me. Too much effort to mobilize the large abdomen.

11:57 AM  
Blogger lagiulia said...

Thinking of you during "the countdown"!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a new update. please?!?! I know the families are descending, but I want to know what's going on in that head and belly of yours, and I want to know RIGHT NOW! C'mon! Help a friend out!
- A

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home