call me!
Derek has abandoned me for Dayton for four days! He has to go to a staff retreat in the woods somewhere in Ohio before starting his new job. He returns on Thursday, we pack out on Friday, and leave Saturday for our exciting cross country drive! I actually am excited, as we plan to do a lot of sight seeing and scenic driving along the way. Now I must get through the next four days. It hasn't begun well, after driving my dearest to the airport very early in the morning, I'm feeling a bit ill and burst into tears after reading something that reminded me in an extremely round-about way of my grandmother.
I have a lot of errands to run over the next few days, and also would like to get in some last minute LA enjoyment. (Since it's absolutely too hot to do anything else, there are a couple of museums I'd still like to see.) However, I'm not always so good at getting myself not to lounge about depressed and procrastinating when I have unstructured time, so I think I will prioritize my tasks and put myself on a schedule. This will be a good exercise for me, since I will have so much unstructured time after the move, and will hate myself if this time is spent lounging and uselessly tooling around the internet.
I think the move is starting to finally feel like a reality for me, and bringing all sorts of mixed feelings. I'm still excited in many ways, because: I no longer have to work at a job I dislike; I get to be closer to people on the east coast; I get to go to Brooklyn for TEN GLORIOUS DAYS; I get to live in a two bedroom townhouse; I get to have a baby (knock on wood). But I'm getting a little bit worried that I will feel isolated there, and wonder how to combat that feeling. Will I feel isolated after the baby is born? Before? Will we meet people that we can connect with, especially through Derek's job, which is a little intellectual community in the midst of a small midwestern city. I honestly think, however, that in some ways, I will be less isolated there than I am here in LA. Although we do have several friends here, none are the close kind of friends that you would call on to, I don't know, keep you company when you are stuck at home with an infant at your breast. And we are so very far away from the people who we are close to in that way. For example, my sister can drive to Dayton in a couple of hours, and she's already coming right after we get there to help us settle in. And go to my midwife appointment! This is not to say that I expect droves of you to appear in Dayton, but just to say that the distance is more easily negotiated, and the lack of time difference will mean that it's so much easier to talk on the phone. So maybe in some ways I will actually feel less isolated.
I have a lot of errands to run over the next few days, and also would like to get in some last minute LA enjoyment. (Since it's absolutely too hot to do anything else, there are a couple of museums I'd still like to see.) However, I'm not always so good at getting myself not to lounge about depressed and procrastinating when I have unstructured time, so I think I will prioritize my tasks and put myself on a schedule. This will be a good exercise for me, since I will have so much unstructured time after the move, and will hate myself if this time is spent lounging and uselessly tooling around the internet.
I think the move is starting to finally feel like a reality for me, and bringing all sorts of mixed feelings. I'm still excited in many ways, because: I no longer have to work at a job I dislike; I get to be closer to people on the east coast; I get to go to Brooklyn for TEN GLORIOUS DAYS; I get to live in a two bedroom townhouse; I get to have a baby (knock on wood). But I'm getting a little bit worried that I will feel isolated there, and wonder how to combat that feeling. Will I feel isolated after the baby is born? Before? Will we meet people that we can connect with, especially through Derek's job, which is a little intellectual community in the midst of a small midwestern city. I honestly think, however, that in some ways, I will be less isolated there than I am here in LA. Although we do have several friends here, none are the close kind of friends that you would call on to, I don't know, keep you company when you are stuck at home with an infant at your breast. And we are so very far away from the people who we are close to in that way. For example, my sister can drive to Dayton in a couple of hours, and she's already coming right after we get there to help us settle in. And go to my midwife appointment! This is not to say that I expect droves of you to appear in Dayton, but just to say that the distance is more easily negotiated, and the lack of time difference will mean that it's so much easier to talk on the phone. So maybe in some ways I will actually feel less isolated.

2 Comments:
Maybe I should take a road trip. When, I am totally not sure, seeing that I got a job for almost all the rest of the summer and right after I am done working, you will be arriving. OK. Never mind. Not this summer. Maybe later on. Still, it is comforting to think that if things got too bad, I *could* conceivably get in a car and be at your place in less than a day. Sigh. I still wish you guys were buying the middle floor of the house on Boerum Place.
hi, i'm popping in via bri...just wanted to say that i live in columbus, OH, which is an hour away from dayton. just wanted to say hey and welcome you as you make your way here!
Post a Comment
<< Home