Monday, April 24, 2006

Car Trouble

We discovered that the brown car, the one Derek uses to commute and the one we park on the street, had been stolen on Saturday. After making the police report, it turned out that it had already been abandoned and towed, and actually had not been stripped or (knock on wood) damaged in any way. Derek had the foresight to bring a can of gasoline, so he was able to fill it up and get it started fairly quickly. I forced him to take it to a local mechanic for a cursory inspection just to make sure it wasn't going to do something weird to him on his way to work, and we went our separate ways.

The most disturbing part of the car being stolen was that when we found it, it didn't appear to be vandalized in any way, but there was a small pile of baby clothes in the passenger seat. There are multiple disturbing levels to this, ranging from the possibility that someone stole the car with their little baby and what state their life must be in for that.

The whole morning was very stressful, and I was feeling completely ill through the whole thing. I met my co-worker in court, where I scraped another car while I was parking. (yes, I left a note like a good citizen) Court went stupidly but not particularly badly. Then I headed out for the 40 minute drive to my office, missed one of my exits trying to go from one freeway to the other, got off to turn around, got sort of lost in Glendale, began to feel sick again and decided, fuck it, not to bother going to work. Plus things were going so badly for me I was convinced that if I stayed on the road I would get into an accident. Oh, and then on my way home, I turned left on a red light, completely spaced out.

Now I'm thrilled to be at home, doing nothing. I think after this I'm going to lie in my bed doing nothing, then MAYBE I will do some housework. This is the difference between how I feel about this job and how I felt about my last job. On my last job, I got my ass there within a half hour of a traumatizing breast needle biopsy. This job, hmm, I feel slightly ill, well fuck it. This is the second time I've called in sick, hey, that's a lot for me.

In other news, I'm (Ha!) currently an emotional wreck. Probably PMS. Pretty well convinced it's not that other thing. I have NO SYMPTOMS!!! I'm having a difficult time expressing my emotions in a socially acceptable manner. We are in total limbo as to where we will be in a short few months, and I'm spending a lot of time trying to figure out how I'm going to stay sane in Ohio. ACK! (honey, if you are reading this, you know I love you soooo much, I'm just venting to my friends.)

We have so many lovely activities and trips planned out for the next six weeks that I have no doubt it will carry me through. Plus my lovely, supportive, and ever so patient husband. But I just cannot wait to feel like my life is on track again. The uncertainty, in those two areas (moving and baby) is very difficult for me to tolerate.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hysterically funny. Your car was stolen but not hurt in any way. And, while the possibility of someone stealing cars with baby-in-tow is certainly disturbing, the pile of baby clothes is just too fucking bizarre. Of all the times...

I am sorry about all the uncertainty. This process is hard. I hope there are lots of answers for you very soon. And that they are all good and involve babies and New York State.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many things that could be visualized after reading that story. And all of them are kind of disturbing.

It is a bit overwhelming reading your blog -- there is so much there I did not know about. I feel like I've missed a huge chunk of your life by not having tuned in sooner. You have a new reader ... xoxo

7:20 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

yay janet!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home