fuel price freak-out
No, this is not about the price of gasoline at the pump. I wish cars and gas pumps would disappear and we would all have access to safe bikeways and manageable public transportation.
This is my mourning for the days of the cheap airplane ticket. Remember when we were in college and you could literally fly to Europe for a couple hundred dollars?
But this is not about Europe even. When we moved here, part of the deal was budgeting in a few trips a year to NY or elsewhere to be with friends and family. And at that point, plane tickets were half the price they are now. So do that math. (Because you know I can't, haha.)
Of course, things couldn't have been sustained the way they were going. And in an ideal world we would all live closer so that we wouldn't have to do something as wasteful as to hop into an airplane to see one another. But it makes returning to the East coast, eventually, seem like more and more of a necessity. And I'm feeling a little sad about it today. The expense makes everyone seem that much farther away. It was much easier to deal with psychologically when tickets really were so cheap that I felt like I could buy one on a whim. A little freak-out trip. Not so much anymore.
This is my mourning for the days of the cheap airplane ticket. Remember when we were in college and you could literally fly to Europe for a couple hundred dollars?
But this is not about Europe even. When we moved here, part of the deal was budgeting in a few trips a year to NY or elsewhere to be with friends and family. And at that point, plane tickets were half the price they are now. So do that math. (Because you know I can't, haha.)
Of course, things couldn't have been sustained the way they were going. And in an ideal world we would all live closer so that we wouldn't have to do something as wasteful as to hop into an airplane to see one another. But it makes returning to the East coast, eventually, seem like more and more of a necessity. And I'm feeling a little sad about it today. The expense makes everyone seem that much farther away. It was much easier to deal with psychologically when tickets really were so cheap that I felt like I could buy one on a whim. A little freak-out trip. Not so much anymore.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home