employed!
This morning I (finally) became employed! To be exact, I'll be starting work on Nov. 7th, so I still have time to relax and purchase a used car in which I will be exploring the Valley making home visits! I'm really excited. Out of all the places I interviewed (six or seven!) it was the one that most reminded me of the job I loved so dearly in Brooklyn. It is community-based work and the people that interviewed me were excited about it in a political way. I wonder if those who are not in my field can imagine the difference in working for an agency that keeps it's politics straight - mental health is NOT apolitical. (what is, after all?)
Anyway, hopefully I will enjoy the work and it will live up to it's promise. I'm mostly relieved. Oh, and did I mention I'll be making 7K more than I was in Brooklyn right off the bat? Not small potatoes for a social worker. Then another large raise if I stick around long enough to get my license. Yay for California.
On a sad note, the wonderful Jin and Nate left this morning. It was so great to see them, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing them again soon. We'll see Nate at TG and hopefully I'll get my butt out to Colorado for one of the long winter weekends. (Colorado in February! Yeah!)
Last night we had a dinner party and whipped out the registry table settings AND utensils - woo hoo! This party was attended by J & N as well as my dear friend Rey. Between Derek and I, we'd known everyone in the room for at least nineteen years. There were such lovely memories to be had, such as Rey smoking his first cigarrette at age 12 (he didn't know he had to put it into his mouth light it), and Jin and I buying Rey a Japanese porno entitled "Dick". I believe it was his first porn. It just seemed like the perfect gift for him at the time.
It's amazing to have such old friends. The comfort level is about 100%, sibling-like. I really feel so blessed.
Also, I drank too much wine, pulled the brownies out of the oven, promptly dropped the pan and caught them with my bare elbow. Now there is a rectangular pus-coated patch of wrinkly melted away skin.
Anyway, hopefully I will enjoy the work and it will live up to it's promise. I'm mostly relieved. Oh, and did I mention I'll be making 7K more than I was in Brooklyn right off the bat? Not small potatoes for a social worker. Then another large raise if I stick around long enough to get my license. Yay for California.
On a sad note, the wonderful Jin and Nate left this morning. It was so great to see them, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing them again soon. We'll see Nate at TG and hopefully I'll get my butt out to Colorado for one of the long winter weekends. (Colorado in February! Yeah!)
Last night we had a dinner party and whipped out the registry table settings AND utensils - woo hoo! This party was attended by J & N as well as my dear friend Rey. Between Derek and I, we'd known everyone in the room for at least nineteen years. There were such lovely memories to be had, such as Rey smoking his first cigarrette at age 12 (he didn't know he had to put it into his mouth light it), and Jin and I buying Rey a Japanese porno entitled "Dick". I believe it was his first porn. It just seemed like the perfect gift for him at the time.
It's amazing to have such old friends. The comfort level is about 100%, sibling-like. I really feel so blessed.
Also, I drank too much wine, pulled the brownies out of the oven, promptly dropped the pan and caught them with my bare elbow. Now there is a rectangular pus-coated patch of wrinkly melted away skin.

8 Comments:
Yay! I knew it was only a matter of days before one of these jobs came through for you! I'm so happy for you. And your dinner party sounds great. I wish I could have been there to hang with you guys and nate and jin and to meet rey.
PS- Derek already knows this, but you should get a honda. they rock.
As you can imagine, Derek is doing most of the car searching, and all he ever says is Honda.... used Honda.
Could anyone possibly care less than I do about what kind of car they get? Let it be safe, let it run, let me not have to spend a million dollars on repairs.
M
Might I also suggest the used Volvo. The 1988 I bought before leaving New York for under $600 is serving me well. And it's got a certain stylish flair as well.
A big congrats on your new job and your license! What great news!
Don't get a Saab. The parts are too costly, even though the car was a great deal.
Like you care. Ha!
I once got a burn like that from reflexively catching a burning bagel, which was falling out of the toaster, with my bare thigh. It was very painful and gross. Hope you are OK.
Congratulations!
I agree with Bill— look for a Volvo. And I have to agree with Briar, too. No matter how much I adore our Saab and hope we own nothing else for the rest of our car-owning days, they are very, very expensive to repair.
Forgot to add...
Like Derek I'm a fan of Hondas. My family has had Hondas and they've lasted forever with minimal repairs. I used to have a Civic and loved it, and I didn't think the repairs were too expensive relatively speaking. P and I talk about getting a used or certified Honda when we decide to get a car.
Don't get a used Volvo. Seriously. My parents owned two very old Volvos during my childhood, and by the time they got rid of the last one, my dad computed that with the funds they had spent on repairs just in the last 3 years, they could have purchased a new car for cash. I think they have the same problem as the Saab (parts have to be imported from Sweden, therefore pricey).
And, I gotta say, my own experiences with Honda products have been stellar.
NT
Post a Comment
<< Home