Wednesday, October 05, 2005

week from hell

Two job interviews completed yesterday, one more today, then Thursday, the infamous driving test. Do I need to even say that the thing I am most nervous about is the driving test? I wake up thinking about that, not the job interviews.

The first interview yesterday went really well. It was for an agency that does similar work to my job in Brooklyn which I loved, so I thought that it would be a "good fit" for me, and I liked the people that I met. It also pays SO MUCH better than similar jobs in New York. It's only a 30 minute commute (by car), but the downside is that it is in the Valley, and would require home visits around the Valley, which would mean that not only do I have to successfully get my license, but also, MY OWN CAR!!! Now, if you really want to laugh, imagine me driving around the San Fernando Valley making home visits. Ha, ha. Anyway, this job is funded by the department of mental health, which means I have to get fingerprinted (and cleared) before they even offer me a job, so it will be awhile before I know whether these things are immediately necessary.

The second interview was a joke. It was for the Agency With The Most Money In the World. Seriously, I am used to working at little hole-in-the-wall community agencies that can barely scrape together the money for adequate office furniture. This agency was elaborately decorated with W*nnie the P**h scenery and life-sized, brand new looking P**h stuffed animals for kids in the waiting room. It was more like being in disney than a social-services agency. While I was waiting (and the HR woman had me waiting for close to an hour!!!) people with dogs were streaming in to do some sort of dog-therapy with kids. However, it turned out after all that waiting that I was just being "screened" by HR, and the woman couldn't even give me any concrete information about the position they were considering me for, plus told me that I might be ruled out even if I get my drivers license because I have no driving record. However, she did not know whether the duties for the position included driving. So that was annoying.

In case you are wondering, since I remain license-less, all this time Derek-the-saint is either sitting in the car or in a fast food restaurant doing his work.

Today I have an interview with an adoption agency. It's the public-transportation interview. It will take me well over an hour to get there, but I get to ride the LA subway thingy (yeah!) and I get to not be guilty about dragging Derek along on these adventures. Also, I get to wear my new Ann T*ylor petites interview outfit, and look like a complete yuppie. woo-hoo.

On a brighter note, my mother arrives (very late, stirring further controversy in the M&D household which I may or may not blog about) tomorrow night, and I am soooo excited to see her and go on adventures in the LA metropolitan area with her. Yay!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. Well, it sounds like one of these jobs will probably pan out for you. So that's great. But it's true, I can't see you tooling around the valley IN YOUR OWN CAR! HAH! What will you do with said car when you move back to NY at the end of the year? (note my denial)
Asia

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. Car? You? I don't... get it. I can't make sense of these words.

Seriously, you will do what you have to do. You are a big girl, even when I don't give you credit for being one, because I'd rather live in denial and think you can't live without me. And good luck today!

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home