Better to be Pessimist?
I've been thinking today about how I am handling the "two week wait." My strategy is to be a very doubtful pessimist, assuming that I won't conceive this month in order to supposedly lessen the blow, if that actually happens.
But today I was thinking that I'll be disappointed anyway. So what if instead, I became completely optimistic, and enjoyed convincing myself that I am pregnant right now? Wouldn't that be fun? Or wouldn't I feel foolish.
I remember once when I was staying with Ms. Bri and we were watching together one of those reality shows about infertility treatment. Various couples had undergone IVF and were waiting for the results. One couple had this almost forced cheery optimism, as though they had made up their mind that they could force it into reality with positive thinking. There is a lot of belief in this, visualization and stuff like that. Anyway, it just was so painful to watch this couple when they found out she wasn't pregnant, almost more painful than to watch the others who had the same result. Thus I tend to choose pessimism.
What do my three readers think of optimism vs. pessimism?
But today I was thinking that I'll be disappointed anyway. So what if instead, I became completely optimistic, and enjoyed convincing myself that I am pregnant right now? Wouldn't that be fun? Or wouldn't I feel foolish.
I remember once when I was staying with Ms. Bri and we were watching together one of those reality shows about infertility treatment. Various couples had undergone IVF and were waiting for the results. One couple had this almost forced cheery optimism, as though they had made up their mind that they could force it into reality with positive thinking. There is a lot of belief in this, visualization and stuff like that. Anyway, it just was so painful to watch this couple when they found out she wasn't pregnant, almost more painful than to watch the others who had the same result. Thus I tend to choose pessimism.
What do my three readers think of optimism vs. pessimism?

2 Comments:
Ack. I don't know the answer to this. I've tried it both ways and have to say that it just plain sucks. I actually think it's almost impossible to REALLY maintain total pessimism with this. Those little wishful hopes just creep in. I think, oh wise social worker, the answer is you just have to feel what you feel and be disappointed if need be. See that? I've learned something after all!
Yes, of course that's the answer, very zen or yoga-ish or something. Sigh. The two week wait is no fun.
Post a Comment
<< Home