Wednesday, April 19, 2006

20 Firsts

This is from the illustrious Ms. Bri of Unwellness. Maybe J. of Kaiserschmarm will do it too.

1. Who was your first Prom date?
I went to a tiny (I mean there were about 10 kids in my class) DoDDS school in Japan for 9th grade. Since the school was so tiny, everyone grade 9-12 could go to prom. The prom was the very night before my family was to leave Japan to move to San Francisco. I was supposed to go with my friend Chris, but Chris and others got together and decided to surprise me by having my on & off ex, Matt, be the one to actually pick me up and take me to prom. So he was a surprise prom date, and poor Chris sacrificed and went stag. Matt had his hair done in some Japanese place that day, and hmm, I'm not sure how to describe it, but it included green streaks in his hair! The next morning, everyone showed up to see me off at 6 or so in the morning, a great S*sebo tradition. Very sad.

2. Who was your first roommate(s)? My sister. I shared a room with her from age 4 (when she was born) to age 15. And that definitely counts. Other than my sis, it was D. at SLC. We lived together so well that we chose to live together for 5 years after college. Thus, she was/is like another sister.

3. What alcoholic beverage did you drink the first time you got drunk? When I was in 9th grade in Japan a senior went and bought a bottle of vodka in order to watch me and two other young friends get drunk. We split the bottle between the three of us, and had so much fun. We ran around in a Japanese playground, I cried because of Matt-mentioned-above, and then we ran around with some sailors who fortunately did not take advantage of us in our inebriated state. Does anyone else agree that getting drunk for the first time was the most fun time?

4. What was your first job? Other than babysitting, I worked for a summer program for middle school students that was run by my high school in SF.

5. What was your first car? Heh. I'm driving it now, and I've only been driving it for six months. And still, it's really Derek's little green Honda.

6. When did you go to your first funeral? The first time I remember going to a funeral was when Ms. Bri's Mom died.

7. How old were you when you first moved away from your home town? I don't have a home town, being a Navy brat. The first time we moved I was 9 months old, and I've been moving ever since. The longest I lived anywhere was Brooklyn, for 9 years. I left Brooklyn last August.

8. Who was your first grade teacher? I don't really remember my first grade teacher. I loved my second grade teacher, Ms. Christ. That really was her name.

9. Your first trip on an airplane? When I was six months old, I went from Guam to Hawaii with my parents. See question #7.

10. When did you sneak out of your house for the first time, who was it with? I never snuck out of my own house. But when I was in ninth grade I would spend the night at my friend Aniko's and we had elaborate ways of sneaking out of her house. This involved climbing out onto a second floor window ledge, jumping to the ledges of three other buildings, jumping to a tree and climbing down the tree. Then we would run downtown at 1 or 2 in the morning, run up and down the ginza, say dirty Japanese words to drunk men, and try to sneak into pachinko parlours, karaoke bars, and discos just to see if we could. The sneaking in adventures were mostly short lived. Mostly we just ran around in the middle of the night.

11. Who was your first Best Friend and are you still friends with them? My first best friend was and is J. of Kaiserscharm, and duh, of course we're still friends. We met because we carpooled together when I was in 5th grade and she in 7th. We would cram with some other kids into the back of her Dad's VW bug and sit in the Honolulu traffic. He would drop us off at 6:30 or so and we would while away the hours until school started. We struck it off when J. came over to me to beg me for my Carnation breakfast bar that my Mom had packed for me. I still love about J. all the things I loved about her when we were kids. Her big, open heart; her sense of humor and of the absurd; her ability to be genuine and forthright under all circumstances. She's a really amazing woman. I think she really influenced me when we were kids, because I was very shy and meek, and she really opened me up and got me out of my shell.

12. Where did you live the first time you moved out of your parents house? In a converted-mansion turned dorm at SLC, with D.

13. Whose wedding were you in the first time you were a bridesmaid/groomsmen? My cousin's wedding when I was 22.

14. What is the first thing you do in the morning? I crawl out of bed, trying not to crush Derek or one of the cats. Then I go pee. You had to ask.

15. What is the first concert you ever went to? Depeche Mode with Bri in order to celebrate her 15th birthday.

16. First tattoo or piercing? Got my ears pierced at age 10 after begging crying and pleading with my mother, who had vowed I wouldn't get them done until I was 12. But it wasn't fair, because then she let my sister do it too, and she was only 5!

17. First Celebrity crush? This is sooooo embarrassing but I had a crush on Patrick Swayze after I watched the mini-series of North and South when I was in 7th grade. I can't believe I'm putting this on the internet.

18. Age of first kiss? 13.

19. First crush? A boy called Jason who sat across from me in fourth grade. I actually remember asking my Mom why I felt funny when I looked at him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home