Day Care
Lately we've been looking into daycare for K. This is getting way ahead of myself, since I don't have a job, haven't been very inspired by the job opportunities here (remind me to tell you about the non-existent job fair I went to), and am not even thinking about going back to work until September at the earliest - but the waitlists here are long. To complicate matters (and Lagiulia has written eloquently on this dilemma), we are fine financially on Derek's salary (not wealthy by a stretch, but fine), and my main reason for returning to work would be for my own benefit. To re-activate that part of my life, which was a big part of my life, but which currently does not exist. So, how selfish is it to put K. in daycare for that reason?
He is so little. I've toured a couple of daycares now and the lowest ratio I've found is one teacher to three infants. Most are 1:4, a few are 1:5, the state limit, which I won't even consider. Yet even at the 1:3 place, obviously, I saw babies sitting around, not looking particularly unhappy, but just sort of spaced out. The adults had more pressing needs to attend to. They seemed to be doing the best they could under those circumstances, but how can one really attend to babies that age at that ratio?
I know I sound harsh on daycare, and that I am unbelievably lucky to be able to choose whether or not to return to work. So I don't mean to offend those who send their kids to daycare. In fact, if anyone (though I don't really get random readers here, I know) has a positive experience with daycare to share, I would love to hear it. It might make me feel better. I want to go back to work, at least part time. I want to find a good opportunity so that I can continue to grow and be inspired professionally. But I also want to feel like K. is in a good situation. Should I wait until he's older to consider this? Not to mention all the separation anxiety issues that come up at around 8 or 9 months. Not to mention all the sweet little smiles I will miss. Isn't it wonderful when your baby wakes up from a nap and is all smiles, just for you?
He is so little. I've toured a couple of daycares now and the lowest ratio I've found is one teacher to three infants. Most are 1:4, a few are 1:5, the state limit, which I won't even consider. Yet even at the 1:3 place, obviously, I saw babies sitting around, not looking particularly unhappy, but just sort of spaced out. The adults had more pressing needs to attend to. They seemed to be doing the best they could under those circumstances, but how can one really attend to babies that age at that ratio?
I know I sound harsh on daycare, and that I am unbelievably lucky to be able to choose whether or not to return to work. So I don't mean to offend those who send their kids to daycare. In fact, if anyone (though I don't really get random readers here, I know) has a positive experience with daycare to share, I would love to hear it. It might make me feel better. I want to go back to work, at least part time. I want to find a good opportunity so that I can continue to grow and be inspired professionally. But I also want to feel like K. is in a good situation. Should I wait until he's older to consider this? Not to mention all the separation anxiety issues that come up at around 8 or 9 months. Not to mention all the sweet little smiles I will miss. Isn't it wonderful when your baby wakes up from a nap and is all smiles, just for you?

2 Comments:
I am a totally random reader who gets lost in surfing from one blog to another (unwellness to picchi pacchi to you or the other way around).
Anyway, I put my infant in a family day care and was much happier with that than the bored looking situation I also witnessed at the centers. She is 12 months now and will be transitioning to a center soon, but for 4-12 month olds, I was much happier with the home setting. I found one with an older woman caring for 5 children in her home. My daughter was the only baby. The other kids were getting ready for preschool/kindegarten. It was nice b/c my daughter really bonded with the caregiver and the other kids and basically assimilated into another home. The older kids LOVED her and called her "our baby".
So, my advice is: check out some home-based care situations before you make a final decision.
Best,
Amy
I know exactly how you feel about day care-- that's how I felt with Calvin and luckily I never had to put him in daycare. However, I almost did put him in a home-based daycare program that I actually felt OK about. It seemed a little more intimate and family-like to me. Maybe that's an option to look into.
Post a Comment
<< Home