Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Literate Me(me)

1. One book that changed your life? Like Bri said, I became a vegetarian after reading The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood at age 15. Our Mutual Friend was the book that first began my intense love of Dickens (I loved that it was featured on Lost.). The Piggle by DW Winnicott first sparked my interest in the psychotherapy of children. I could go on.

2. One book you have read more than once? Only one? Ha. Right now I'm re-reading Steinbeck's Travels With Charley which I picked up again because of our recent cross country trip.

3. One book you would want on a desert island? I've never read War and Peace (Tolstoy) and I'd like to. It's awfully long.

4. One book that made you laugh? When I was really little I thought that Superfudge by Judy Blume was hilarious. When I was a little older (preteen) I loved Virgins by Caryl Rivers. Lately anything by David Sedaris can make me laugh out loud.

5. One book that made you cry? What the Living Do by Marie Howe

6. One book you wish had been written? I don't understand this question.

7. One book you wish had never been written? I have to second Bri on the Left Behind series. It really seems like a bad idea. Isn't there also some neo-Nazi series out there? And we could all do without Mein Kampf, right?

8. One book you are currently reading? Along with the Steinbeck I am reading various parenting books. My favorite is Touchpoints (Birth to 3) by Brazelton.

9. One book you have been meaning to read? I promised Derek I would read some Plato last month but I haven't done it yet. (I guess I should read that next.)

10. Now tag five people: J from Kaiserschmarm. I would also love to know my husband's answers to these questions. Wes? Asia?

3 Comments:

Blogger Derek Barker said...

1. Pynchon, Crying of Lot 49. Got me interested in political theory and the politics of literature.

2. Plato's Republic. Gets better every time.

3. Hegel's Phenomenology. Maybe with some extra time to kill I could actually figure out what it's about.

4. The Crumb book I got for Christmas.

5. Maus.

6. Chowhound Guide to Authentic Cuisine in Southwestern Ohio.

7. The collected works of Ayn Rand.

8. Oliver Twist.

9. Kevin Phillips, American Theocracy.

10. Odysseus, Penelope, Menelaos, Telemachos, Achilles, go for it!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Bill Norris said...

Eumaios, I assume you know about Road Food, which may be of service in your quests.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy procrastination time sucking exercise! Ack.

1. One book that changed your life? Freud's "Three Essays [...]" made me realize I was a serious graduate student. "The Fine Line" partly inspired my dissertation and continues to be a source of inspiration.

2. One book you have read more than once? Gender Trouble, The History of Sexuality (only Volume 1), some book called like Best Bisexual Erotica 1996 (heh!).

3. One book you would want on a desert island? Some gigantic volume of the collected works of Freud maybe.

4. One book that made you laugh? Marley & Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan. Not very good but it was amusing and I read it on our honeymoon.

5. One book that made you cry? The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion.

6. One book you wish had been written? How to get rich as an ABD??

7. One book you wish had never been written? I don't know. Drawing a blank. Must get back to work.

8. One book you are currently reading? I am currently reading two books that are very mis-matched. I am reading some fluffy mystery thing by Harlan Coban I borrowed from J's dad called "Promise Me" and I'm also reading "The End of Gender." I'm about to start "The Body and Social Theory" as well. And, of course, a mountain of student papers.

9. One book you have been meaning to read? I bought this book called "The Seven Stages of Ambiguity" that I haven't managed yet. I also need to attempt (again) Merleau-Ponty's "The Phenomenology of Perception."

- Asia

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home