Sunday, January 01, 2006

Holiday Review

I have been very remiss about writing over this holiday season.
It is New Year's Day - bleak, rainy, and - for LA - cold. As a result, I am grumpy, and would probably be best locked up in a cage somewhere, kept away from the rest of my species.
However, I will now subject myself and any readers there may be to a series of lists.

Top Ten Good Things About This Holiday Season
(in no particular order)
1. Food: cheese grits, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with raisins, rum cake, antipasto, eggplant parmesan, spinach lasagna, Mom's vegetarian stuffing, birthday home-made mint chip ice cream, etc.
2. Being back in Brooklyn for a weekend - seeing everyone, sitting on our old stoop, shopping in my old stores, knowing how and where to get things done, seeing D's pregnant belly
3. Being a part of Asia's beautiful wedding
4. Seeing old friends on New Year's Eve
6. Potty humor and riding space mountain at Disney with Bri, Wes, & Z
7. My family being together and all getting along over Christmas, including Derek! (it was our first Christmas together)
8. Frolicking in my Mom's back yard with my sister and the two airedales, Didi & Mandy
9. A wonderful birthday, thanks to Derek
10. my cousin's baby boy surviving and becoming progressively stronger although still hospitalized

Top Eight Bad Things About This Holiday Season
1. Fighting with one of my best friends on my birthday
2. Being exposed to hepatitus A, almost fainting outside a Korean restaurant, and getting a butt shot on my birthday
3. Losing the favors at Asia's wedding
4. Having to travel for ten + hours round trip in order to be with family and friends
5. Hearing from my sister how much my parents were fighting after Derek & I left Georgia
6. Asia not being with us for New Year's for the first time in at least five years (although she had - ahem - better things to do)
7. Saying goodbye to Bri on New Year's Eve and not knowing when I'll see her again
8. Feeling down today about not knowing what direction my life will go and how my friendships will be re-formulated after this move, since I can't sustain the once-a-month trips to the east coast forever

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick. I've felt like cranky ass every day of 2006. I hated leaving you.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you! I'm so sad that I missed New Years, too. And I also feel freaked out and weepy about my life today.My magical time is officially over and it's back to work for J and I.

A

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home